Archive of: star wars
Hmmmmmm… good idea this is, join in I will…. yeeesss…
Cathy and myself have just finished watching Episodes I to VI over the weekend. First two on Friday night, middle two last night, you get the picture.
Some quick observations now I’ve finally seen all six in a row:
- The back-story really breathes new life into the original trilogy, having the history of the characters to refer to makes such a big difference (god I’m such a geek)
- The original trilogy is a much smaller, character driven story
- Palpatine is a devious shit, but you have to admire his cunning
- The Episode III to IV transition works really well story and character wise, but the 70’s model work is really jarring after coming from the CG battles of the prequel. It’s especially noticeable during the first attack on the Death Star
- …but in saying that, the space battle in Return of the Jedi still rocks
- You know there’s going to be a new box set at some point, and I bet my Boba Fett Pez dispenser that there will further tinkering from George to make the segue between trilogies a little more seamless.
- In the big scheme of things Jar-Jar isn’t that annoying, he can be filtered, but jesus his sense of humour is crap. He’s just not funny
- After seeing serious, solemn Yoda in the prequels, his behaviour when he first appears in Empire makes him look like he’s gone bat-shit loopy. Trust me, watch it when he first meets Luke, he’s acting like an insane man
- These words are not in the OSX spell-checker: Jedi, Yoda, Boba Fett
- … they are now, I may need to talk more about them and the red squiggly lines were annoying me
- R2-D2 swears a lot
- The re-mastered trilogy are really dark compared to the prequels. I don’t know if this is due to the re-mastering process or just the difference between film and digital, but they look very underexposed
- Cathy went "awww" when the Ewoks got shot. She needs help
- Ewan McGregor really nailed Alec Guinness. I find myself stroking my chin when I’m thinking now, in an Obi-Wan style. This is not good
- It works, I loved it
Doing it all again at christmas, woohoo!