Archive of: polytechnic
I’m giving feedburner another whirl. I tried it a while back, specifically to make use of the feed splicing feature, but I quickly gave up as I was finding it a little clunky. For no other reason than I like to tinker I’ve switched it back on again.
So if there is anyone out there reading this in an RSS reader I’d appreciate it you could update your feed to this one.
I’m supposed to be working and keep getting distracted by every little thing. So I gave up for an hour and tidied up the main navigation, futzed around with the sidebar (now with added del.icio.us sauce), and picked a couple of potential colour palettes from COLOURlovers. We’ll see what happens with those.
Man I need a beer.
Apologies to everyone for the flurry of archived posts that keep turning up as new in your RSS readers, I finally got my head around the pathauto module and how I wanted the URLs to work on the site. Just took me a few goes to get there.
I stopped anonymous comments this morning. The spam module is fantastic in identifying them, but I still have to manually delete them, which is a pain in the arse. Until I have time to have another think about how to approach this you’ll have to create an account to comment.
There are some other little tweaks around the site that you might notice as I get it closer to the idea in my head of what polytechnic should be. Next step – new design.
Drupal 4.6.1 upgrade done, spam filters in place, comments open. Let the fun begin.
I’ve had enough of having to delete comments spams every day (300 today alone), so until I can work out what I’m going to do, comments have been disabled.
If I ever get my hands on a spammer I will eviscerate the fucker where they stand. Slimy, low life, bottom feeding parasites.
Using Recent Tunes and it’s ability to upload via SSH in conjunction with a custom block, et voila! "Listening To". A rolling list of the last 10 tunes that i’ve been listening to. Now I just need to hack it to insert links to further information.
Update (11th March 2005): I’ve removed the block for the time being. I have a cunning plan.
You may have a noticed a few little changes have crept into the site over the past few days. Some of the highlights (if you want to call them that):
- Massive overhaul of links styles to a much more consistent behaviour (this had been bugging me for a while)
- Some slight modification to header size and page contents. Hopefully making the page a little cleaner
- Links are back! I decided to go with the separate page and a combination of my del.icio.us feed, the agregator.module and path aliases made that a snap
- Rescued the (few) articles that I’ve written from taxonomy limbo and given them back their own navigation entry
- Tidied up the feed block
Things still to do:
- The pictures page needs some tidying and a link to my raw flickr photostream
- Could do with some more introductory / explanatory copy
- Footer is still AWOL
- I’m happy with the overall look and feel, but I need to do something about the header and main nav. If only so I don’t look like I’ve been ripping Steph off. Total accident I swear!
- Have to look at the whole taxonomy and the integration of tags (more of an ‘ideal’ rather than a ‘todo’)
As a total aside, I found this nifty iTunes script in MarsEdit’s Script menu you other day. I had no idea it was there. Now I just need to work out how to trigger it’s insertion into a new post automatically.
(Currently playing in iTunes: Vingt à trente mille jours by Francoiz Breut)
Finally got round to fixing a couple of tiny bugs that have been bothering me for a while.
- The blogroll content no longer vanishes on random pages. Turns out there was a WHERE clause in the SQL that wanted to match against an id number that isn’t always there.
- I also took the time to clear out the comment spam from the approval queue and came across a couple of legitimate comments from Martin and Steph. Sorry about that guys, all fixed now.
Not the most interesting post by a long shot, but I had to make a note of them and here seemed the best place.
For a few days now I’ve been running a little experiment using feedburner to splice in my flickr and del.icio.us feeds into one monolithic feed, then offering that feed for subscription here (this isn’t a new idea, I nicked it from Tom Coates, and there are others doing the same thing).
But ever since I started it’s been bugging me that my feed has been giving the impression that I’m a busy bee, when all that is really happening is I’m being lazy and letting automation take over. It would seem I’m not the only one who has noticed. Tom, Matt Haughey and Dave Shea have all been voicing their concerns with feed splicing.
I like the idea of offering feeds for all the content I produce, especially as I’m now making more use of flickr and delicious, but the monolithic feed wasn’t working for me, and in fact was actually pissing me off (tip: subscribe to your own feed, see what your readers see), so I’ve expanded the feed box to offer individual feeds. The choice is back in your hands.
On a similar tack I’ve also killed del.ico.us automatically posting the daily links here. I like the way Dave Shea handles it with a separate section, so I may go down that route, but that’s for another day.
We live and learn. And as we learn, things get better… hopefully!